Project Kudos: Cannon-Maston House
Constructed in 1727, the Cannon-Maston House is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Sussex County and one of the only extant brick homes in Delaware from the eighteenth century. It sits on 59 acres with 37 tillable and 22 acres of woods and wetlands.
When the Cannon-Maston House was built, this area of Sussex County was still a part of Maryland. It did not become a part of Delaware until the American Revolution. In many of its details, the house’s construction is much more typical of Maryland styles than Delaware styles, serving as a reminder of the contentious early history of this part of the state.
The home and the surrounding 59 acres were acquired by the Sussex County Land Trust in partnership with Sussex County Council in 2006 and the Trust is now moving forward with the restoration of the historic home with long term plans to make the property a historical and cultural center for interpreting our region’s rich agricultural heritage, and as a host site for community events. Ickford Park is a 15-20 minute drive from Nanticoke Crossing and both are a part of the Nanticoke Heritage Byway.