C. Russel Mccabe
Russ began his employment at the Delaware Public Archives. During the course of a long and rewarding career he worked tirelessly to ensure the preservation of our state’s rich heritage. Noteworthy achievements include primary authorship of Delaware's first-ever comprehensive Public Records Law and development of public programs designed to promote a greater knowledge of Delaware’s fascinating history. Russ played a key role in the effort to construct a new archives facility to house our state’s documentary treasures. He was appointed to the position of State Archivist in 2005. As Division Director, he was responsible for budget management and oversight of the agency’s 36 employees. After nearly 31 years of service, Russ retired in July 2009. On Delaware Day, December 7, his record of achievement was recognized when he received the annual Governor’s Heritage Award from Governor Jack Markell.
Russ has been, and continues to be, an active participant in a variety of community groups and organizations. Some of these include:
· Founder and past President, Georgetown Historical Society
· Board member and past Vice President, Milton Historical Society
· Co-chair, Delaware 375 Committee
· Board of Directors, Preservation Delaware
· Member, Delaware Humanities Council
· Member, Delaware Historic Preservation Review Board
· Member, Historic Georgetown Association Community Redevelopment Organization
· Treasurer, Goshen Cemetery (Milton)
· Member, Conference Commission on Archives and History, United Methodist Church
· Member, Delaware Department of Agriculture Century Farm Committee
· Board of Directors, Coach and Manager, Milton Little League
Russ was elected to serve as Sussex County Recorder of Deeds from 1987-91. He and his wife Michele were married in 1984 and have resided near Milton since 1986. They are the proud parents of two sons, Josiah and Coulter.